Friday, August 5, 2011

Nanny's Oatmeal Cookies

This recipe is very special among my family members.  It was one that my grandmother (my mother's mother), who we called "Nanny" or "Nan", made frequently and passed down to us.  She would make these cookies at Christmas or other special occasions, and everyone always loved them.  I remember her telling me how this recipe came to be, but I can't quite remember all of the details.  I think she told me that there was another similar recipe, but she did not follow the directions correctly, and Nanny's Oatmeal Cookies were born!  Nonetheless, they are wonderful, and I cannot make them without thinking of her and missing her terribly. 

The recipe for these cookies was included in the cookbook, A Work of Heart.  This cookbook is very precious to me.  It was compiled "with love and joy by the women of the Kountry Kousins Homemaker Club of Walker Springs," as it says on the first page.  This was a home extension club consisting of some of the ladies from the small community of Walker Springs, Alabama (where I grew up).  They were dear ladies who knew how to cook, and I am so grateful to have their recipes!


Nanny's Oatmeal Cookies

(from Nanny, Gladys Armistead)

1 cup Crisco
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup self-rising flour
12 oz. package chocolate chips or raisins
1 t. vanilla flavoring
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Cream Crisco and sugars until smooth.  Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.  Sift flour, salt, and baking soda together and add to creamed mixture.  Mix well.  Add oatmeal, nuts, and chocolate chips or raisins to taste.  Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 until browned.


I used my mixer to cream Crisco and sugars.  You can also use a hand mixer.



Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.




Add dry ingredients to mixture and mix well.  Let me just say, I don't sift because I don't have a sifter!  Just mix well if you don't have a sifter.

My helpers added the chocolate chips for me.  I use semi sweet, but you could use milk chocolate if you want.


The dough is ready.




Drop by rounded spoonful.  I use my mini ice cream scoop (from Pampered Chef ).  I flatten them a little after putting them on the cookie sheet.


Yummy!  Nothing like fresh cookies just out of the oven!



And how did they taste?  Let's see what the official taste testers thought...

You can't beat three thumbs up!

Another good thing about these cookies is that they make a bunch.  I had  about 5 dozen!  We make them every year to take to the beach.  They are so yummy!





No comments:

Post a Comment