Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Strawberry Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette

I promised crock pot meals this week, but so far, it's been a salad week.  The weather is still so hot, the crock pot will have to wait a few weeks longer!  Last night was a busy night, so I decided to make one of my favorite salads.  You can vary it by using different versions of ingredients.  I will tell you how I made it, and give suggestions for alternatives.

Desired amount of lettuce (I used romaine, but you could use iceberg or spinach or any other type)
1/2 cup (or desired amount) of fresh, sliced strawberries (mandarin oranges are also good)
1-2 T. feta cheese, depending on how well you like feta (I used reduced fat)
2 T. toasted nuts (I used pecans, but I usually just use what I have on hand.  Walnuts are my favorite.)
Chicken (Salmon is also wonderful with this salad)
2 T. (or desired amount) Raspberry Vinaigrette

To toast my pecans or walnuts, I usually just spray a small frying pan with cooking spray and let it heat for about five minutes on medium heat.  Place nuts in pan and salt.  Stir them occasionally for 5-10 minutes, and they are done.  I also keep nuts in the freezer because I use them infrequently.  This ensures that they are always fresh. 

I do not always put chicken in this salad.  If it is my meal, I usually do, but as a side, I do not.  It is great either way.  If I am serving it with chicken, I cut up a chicken breast into bite sized pieces.  Place in a heated frying pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Drizzle about a tablespoon of the raspberry vinaigrette over it, and stir it until it is cooked thoroughly. 

Place the lettuce in a bowl and add other ingredients.  The sweet strawberries and raspberry vinaigrette are a wonderful complement to the feta.  It makes a beautiful dish!



Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment